I would like to propose a new feature for KMSA, where once a month ( or more, if popular ) , at random. whenever... we each put up a list, in brief, of anything up to, say, ten things that we are currently enjoying, Reading...Watching...etc, ( and in the We...I am fervently hoping this includes all the Knights and Ladies in that wonderfully long list at the bottom of the blog, who can add theirs in the Comment section if that is the simplest way )...and in doing so we ratchet up the enlightenment quotient in the group, rather than any beery opinion.
I'm trying to think of some humorous Knightly title for this feature, but I'll leave that to the wittier ones amongst us... and seeing as we usually agree that anytime spent culturally is Quality Time, then I will call this first punt upfield. Sir Dayvd's January Quality Time.
1) Music : In my CD player these days is a brilliant Seattle band called the Fleet Foxes, who's lovely harmonies are gracing my halls as I write. The album : "Fleet Foxes" is the best I have bought this year.
2) Surfing: I am an absolute, mad fan these days, for Google Earth, and if you aren't already connected to this breath taking feature on your computer yet...then do so ASAP..:)) With it I can scooch around the world as my mind on a whim takes me...maybe float down to the Riviera in France, along the Mediterranean shore...up over the Middle East and explore inside Israel...then..flip...back over to Hollywood USA... and zoom along the Sunset Strip, with the unique US street photos feature...onto The Alamo in St Antonio...over to the islands between Russian and Alaska...and finish off maybe zooming in on the houses of Maracaibo in Venezuela, which until I had Google Earth, I never knew existed and thrived the north coast there. I wish I'd had that in my geography lessons at school.
3) Book: Bill Bryson's "Short History of Nearly Everything", a must read for anyone who wants to understand the world, and the incredible selfless scientists and curious people who have discovered all the knowledge we now take for granted these days.
Biography of John Adams, the second US President. A most remarkable man. Did you know he died on the exact same day as his eventual pal, Thomas Jefferson, on July the 4th , Independence day...1826
4) Film : Slumdog Millionaire : Went and saw this last night. A most remarkable and enjoyable film, that I highly recommend.
5) TV : This is a little more problematic... seeing as our respective shows air on each corporation, years apart...still I will flag up once again "Around the World in 80 Faiths"...with a link for you to look at
"Oz Clarke and James May Drink to Britain" series.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gn2z/Oz_and_James_Drink_to_Britain_Episode_1 where Oz and James go on a tour of the UK's distilleries and breweries
6) Cooking: Might I recommend a Scottish Soup I made the other night called "Cullen Skink", where the US knights and ladies could use their own local smoked white fish instead of smoked haddock, which warmed the cockles of my heart on these grey evenings...:)) http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_cullen.htm
Get Surfing Knights and ladies...and I look forward to exploring your links in return. I'm hoping in this first effort that all the links work, but if not... get in touch with me in the comments box and I will make sure you get something that works, for you to explore.
Sir Dayvd ( Conduit is my real middle name ) of Oxfordshire