Thursday, April 16, 2009

Never Judge a Book by it's cover.

We are all brought up with the saying "Never judge a book by its cover", but we do.

Somehow human nature contrives to pigeon hole and stereotype, in an effort to short cut, compartmentalize and defend, rapid decisions. In the 21st century, this has accelerated , by TV and internet, the ease non talent and hyperbole can bubble up to the surface, with ever brash, unrebuked claims, that are as deluded as annoying.

I stopped watching things like X-factor and "Britain's Got talent" simply because in part of that bombardment, and also the show's turgid milking of sentimentality you had to crawl through to get to the Averageness of the act.

But occasionally something gets through and shines a light on all the twisted cynicism, that even I have in abundance when I am in one of my bad shoulder, pile of work, early morning moods.

This bonny Scottish woman, built like a stevedore, who yes, you double-take to check she really isn't a fellah.. and who cheerfully admits that she lives alone with her cats and has never been kissed.... but in a stoic
" well that's life way " .....

She simply walks on stage and blasts every smug sneer out of the auditorium, and invests us all with a good dose of hubris and humility all on the wings of a song : "I dreamed a Dream", from Les Miserable's ( whose ticket sales will now go through the roof again )

Of course the show doesn't miss a trick in the way this is edited, and i'm praying she picked the song and arrangement herself... but even so....this is good honest talent, with a wink of Scottish confidence in its eye, that makes all the no-mark Paris Hilton types, shrivel up and fade in the glow of its magnificence.

This was just the auditions, but I can't see her failing to win... and there is a rumour she is on the way to the Oprah Winfry show as I write... so hold onto your hats America..:))

I deliberately didn't add any photos to this, to prove my point. Just the video Link and the words highlighted that she sings. Now go and watch the tears roll down your cheeks:))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY&feature=related

There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came

And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

Sir Dayvd ( long may i never fail to be amazed ) of Oxfordshire

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already saw the video and watched the looks of the people in the crowd before and after she started to sing. I got a little teary. My cynical mind hopes there doesn't turn out to be some ringer scandal along the road. I can see someone giving her a makeover (Oprah?) and I truly hope she achieves her dreams.

Sir James of sentimental Taylor

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Sir james.. but i have high hopes so far. She has spent a long period Caring for her elderly mother, which under normal Tv circumstances is a sob story they come up with... BUT....

just by her demeanour and honest modest reactions it tell me that she really is one of that vast army of people who have put their life behind them for the sake of looking after an elderly relative... I have half a dozen friends my age who are in the same position, unmarried, but tied down.. who phone me once a week, as if i am a window on the world or something. Its heartbreaking... and i think thats what kinda broke the dam wall on this one.. The Song itself, and as i say I hope she chose it...makes her the poster-child for this lost army.

Oh by the way James... the guy on the Bird Site, Tom Murray told me about the Northern Mockingbird.

and ..re Wolfie...if you tell me the size wolf you want for your bag...i will make you a traceable drawing for you and send it to Bowie and all you will have to do is draw it on the bag and paint it in.. I use acrylic paint for my Awnings and canopies here...

Anonymous said...

She now has a fan club on Facebook with, at this moment, 75,135 fans. Probably mostly yanks because we love an underdog.

Sir Jas. of Taylor

dkWells said...

I say, Put on your Beer Goggles and Enjoy the Music!

Sir Hook Who Still Likes A Looker of Warrick

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Shallow Hal was in the KMSA ...LOL.






DO

dkWells said...

Not being Shallow...just suggesting a practical application of Beer Goggles to Enhance ones listening experience!

After all, if Amy (Wino)house and Aretha Franklin can woo us,our Bonny Lass can too!

Sir Hook Who is Always Guilty of Either Judging a Book By It's Cover...or Reading It in the Dark...I Can't Remember Which I Do More...of Warrick

Anonymous said...

You mean the Braille versions.


do